Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Psalm 19:2-5a

I'm currently on a pastor's retreat with the San Jose Presbytery in this beautiful place with plenty of hiking trails and beautiful gardens and scenery.

Anyway, we've been taking time to be present in creation and be in prayer. Tonight we did a meditation where we reflected on the words from Psalm 19:2-5a and then paid attention to what spoke to us in the passage and then took moments to pay attention to our surroundings outside. Then we were asked to allow the "book of creation" to interpret the "book of scripture"...both being from God... and see what we found.

There was a lot I discovered, but I found myself in that particular action re-writing the Psalm to what I observed, felt, saw, heard... etc. So, I thought I'd share what I wrote:

Psalm 19:2-5a (NAB)
The heavens declare the glory of God;
the sky proclaims its builder's craft.
One day to the next conveys that message;
One night to the next imparts that knowledge.
There is no word or sound;
no voice is heard.
Yet their report goes forth through all the earth,
their message, to the ends of the world.
***
The clouds declare the movement of God
the flowers display the Creator's artistry.
Even the dead foliage produces life;
And the old tree has stories to share.
There are bird songs and bug sounds;
The hills sing loudly.
They share the message of a living God,
Resurrection to all those who will listen.

2 comments:

Cat Lady of Carmel said...

Beautiful!!!!

Mama V said...

What a lovely retreat! And what a beautiful Psalm you wrote... I love the imagery of dead foliage contributing in life-giving ways...

Thanks, chica!