Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm 29.


I am 29 years old today.
My first thought waking up this morning was a little bit of awe that I have made it to 29...awe and gratitude. My heart and mind actually turned to my mom and my dad--29 years ago, they brought me into their world and into this world, and I couldn't help but be super sentimental about that and the love they have poured out on my life and continue to pour out on my life.
A lot happened last year -- a LOT.
For some things I am filled with gratitude, for others, pain, for others, complete joy, and for others, just a lot of love. I guess I'm just thankful that I got to experience the whole range in my "golden" year and look forward to a new year of life and living.
It's my first birthday outside of Chicago in 5 years and I wasn't sure what I was going to do today. Friends I've made here are out of town or busy today and I have 2 fabulous friends flying in tomorrow to celebrate with me all weekend long! WOOHOO!
So, I thought being a loner on my birthday was going to be kind of sad... BUT... I woke up with a thankful heart and so far it's been a good "Irene" day. I woke up, went to an exercise class, showered, got dressed and decided it would be a "lookin' gooooood" type of day. :) I made myself breakfast and then ran some errands--went shopping--and then found a great Mexican bakery in San Jose (The Pink Elephant Bakery) and bought myself two pieces of tres leches cake (mocha & strawberry). For those of you who do not know, I ALWAYS have tres leches cake on my birthday. It's my special treat and the only thing I usually request on my birthday.
Now I'm at a coffee shop, reflecting and getting ready to write my sermon for Pentecost so I can play a little with friends this weekend...
And you know what?
I LOVE IT.
Today, being with myself on my 29th birthday makes me feel alive, independent, happy, and confirms that I am in a good place.
I couldn't ask for more.

1 comment:

Cat Lady of Carmel said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your birthday and that the celebration is still going on! Enjoy your weekend to the MAX!

Love,
Jayne