Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy New Year!



HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2008!
Sae hae bok mani baduhsehyo!

It was good to be home for the new year this year. It is the first time I've been in Utah in years for the New Year and I was intentional about it this year because as our family becomes larger and more extended, the New Year seems to be the more likely time we can all get together. Unfortunately, my brother Andy and my cousin Dustin weren't able to be there, but everyone else was, so that was good. The pic above is one of the traditions we celebrate every new year. We bow to our elders wishing them a happy new year. They then give us a blessing and usually following that, some $$. The picture is me, my sister Linda, and bro-in-law, Craig bowing to my parents. It was his first Korean new year celebration and he did a good job!

Part of the tradition is also eating duk guk, which is a soup with rice cake type things in them. Mmmm... delicious!

Anyway, here are some cousin/family pics! The first one is of the women and girls! From left to right: Kyra, Tina, me, Sarah, Linda, Eunice and baby Sylvie.



And the guys! From left to right: Dennis, Richard, Craig, and Shawn. Missing is brother Andy and cousin Dustin.



Anyway, hope you all had a wonderful time ringing in the new year! I'm back with a little bit of a cold, but overall in good spirits. To a great start!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Irene

Loved the way you celebrated the new year. Bowing to parents is a beautiful symbol. Thanks for re-engaging important traditions!

peace and happy new year