Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ash Wednesday

"You are dust and to dust you shall return" (Genesis 3:19b)

As I sit here with ashes marked as a cross on my forehead (which has faded b/c I keep forgetting its there and touching it), I can't help but wonder how symbolic that is in and of itself. Lent as a season of reflection and remembering who we are and who God is sounds like a great thing to do. But just as the ashes are physically marked on me and fade throughout the day, I can't help but wonder how much of my own life with God is like that...only to be remembered in times of crisis or high holy days. Ugh, I don't even know if this is making any sense.

I guess that's why folks take things on or give things up... to continually remind themselves in this season what it is we are doing. It's just way too easy for me though to give up something fairly simple and continue to forget about why I'm doing it. Obviously, I still have some reflecting to do in terms of what will keep me in continued communion with God in this season.

"You desire truth in the inward being; therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart" (Psalm 51:6).

As I reflect and pray about what that truth will look like for me in this season, I pray that you will also take this time as an opportunity to remember. I'd love to hear what you are doing as your Lenten practice!

No comments: